How to Apply
To apply to the Master of Logic or the Logic Year you first have to register yourself in Studielink. One day after you completed your registration in Studielink, you will receive an invitation to finalize your application by filling in an online form.
A link to the website of the University of Amsterdam with general information on how to do that, including the link to Studielink, can be found below.
Please make sure to first read the information below carefully.
In the online application form you will be asked for several documents, so make sure to have these ready in pdf format.
- Required documents, which must be submitted now:
- Curriculum vitae
- All official transcripts of records of your previous secondary education and an explanation of the grading system (often found on the backside of an official transcipt or included in a diploma supplement); if the documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French, please also submit translations;
- All diplomas of your previous secondary education. In case the documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French, please also submit translations;
- All official transcripts of records of your previous academic education and an explanation of the grading system (often found on the backside of an official transcipt or included in a diploma supplement); if the documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French, please also submit translations;
- All diplomas of previous academic eduation that you have finished, and their official translation. In case the documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French, please also submit translations.
- Statement of motivation, of 500-600 words in which you explain for instance why you are applying for the programme, why you want to study Logic, why you chose Amsterdam.
- Required documents, which can be submitted later:
- If required, the result of an English proficiency test. In case of doubt, check our language requirements). If you did not take a test yet, the results can be submitted later;
- Diplomas of previous academic eduation that you did not yet finish, and their official translation. In case the documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French, please also submit translations.
You will also be asked to provide us with the name and email address of two faculty members who are familiar with your work. They will receive an automated email with an invitation to write a letter of recommendation.
Please ask them beforehand whether they would indeed be willing to send us such a letter.
- In the online form, in the question on 'Higher education' or 'Other relevant education', there is room for only two academic programmes that ended or will end in obtaining a diploma. Any additional academic education, ending in a diploma or not, can be mentioned in the relevant section of the question on 'Programme-specific questions for Logic' and should also be added to your cv.
Please make sure to upload the transcripts (and degree certificates, if applicable) of this extra education in one pdf file with the other transcripts (and certificates) you are asked to upload.
info UvA on applying through Studielink
- The application deadlines for a start on September 1 are as follows:
Apr. 1: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands),
Feb. 1: for students from other countries.
The application deadlines for a start on February 1 are as follows:
Dec. 1: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands),
Oct. 1: for students from other countries.
Although it is possible to start in February, please be aware that we do recommend starting in September.
If possible, we will consider also applications received after these deadlines, but we cannot guarantee a successful visa application procedure and housing support anymore. For more detailed information on visa applications and housing, please have a look here.
The deadline for sending in the English test result is:
May 15: for international students applying for scholarships through the University of Amsterdam (Beth, AMS, AES). This deadline is strict.
Since there are no scholarships options in February, there are not strict deadlines for the English test result.
Later years: if accepted for the MoL, you should re-register every following year through Studielink before the following deadlines:
Aug. 31 for a start per September 1
Jan. 31 for a start per February 1
The Master of Logic has no maximum number of admissions. The Admissions Board determines acceptance on the basis of the information you supply in your application; if you meet the requirements, you will be admitted, no matter how many other students have been admitted previously.
It might be that more information is needed to come to a decision. In that case you will be contacted directly.
We aim to be able to inform you of our decision within 4 to 6 weeks after the application deadline that applies to you.
If, for a pressing reason, you would need a decision at an earlier moment, please inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to comply.
If you have other questions, please also contact us at email@example.com.
- If applicable international students will be contacted by Student Services on housing matters and visa applications automatically;
- All admitted students will be contacted by the Master of Logic again at the end of June, with information about the start of the programme.
- In the meantime, if you have any doubts or questions, do feel free to contact us anytime, again at firstname.lastname@example.org.