Assistant professor (tenure track) or Associate professor in Artificial Intelligence
|Publicatiedatum||9 juli 2019|
|Sluitingsdatum||1 september 2019|
|Functieomvang||38 hours per week|
|Salarisindicatie||€3,637 to €6,738 gross per month|
Are you a passionate teacher and excellent researcher doing fundamental research in Artificial Intelligence? Do you have the ability to bridge symbolic and sub-symbolic methods used within AI? Does your area of specialisation in AI fit with the ILLC’s research on formal methods in the study of information, and also complement its existing expertise? We have a preference for candidates whose research is not well represented by current ILLC staff. Our ideal candidate will help us develop a new research line in one or more of the following areas:
- AI and Multiagent Systems (including Algorithmic Game Theory);
- AI and Cognitive Science (including Cognitive Modelling);
- AI and Decision Making (including Planning).
You will be expected to fulfil the following tasks, taking into account the research/teaching ratio of 60:40 at the ILLC:
- to develop an independent line of research in your area of expertise, resulting in contributions published in leading international venues;
- to build up and coordinate a research team and supervise PhD candidates;
- to teach and develop teaching activities in the field of AI. Relevant programmes include the BSc Artificial Intelligence, the MSc Artificial Intelligence, the MSc Logic, and the MSc Brain & Cognitive Sciences;
- to (co-)supervise Bachelor's and Master's students;
- to initiate and contribute to proposals for raising substantial external funding;
- to contribute to research valorisation and outreach activities;
- to contribute significantly to management tasks in education and research at the institute.
- a relevant PhD degree (e.g., in AI, Logic, Mathematics, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or Philosophy);
- excellent research skills, evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned international conferences and journals, and contributed and/or invited talks at international conferences/workshops;
- a strong background, experience and expertise in research in the foundations of AI, in an area that complements existing ILLC expertise;
- an interest in combining symbolic and sub-symbolic approaches in AI research;
- experience with working in at least two different institutes/universities or in industry, preferably in different countries;
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities;
- ideally some experience with the (co-)supervision of BA/BSc, MA/MSc and/or PhD students;
- (the ability to develop) the management skills required for general academic administration, organisation and coordination tasks;
- team spirit and a strong affinity with the ILLC’s multidisciplinary environment as well as readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation;
- excellent communication and social skills;
- an excellent command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or would you like to know more about the ILLC? Then please contact:
- Sonja Smets, Director of the ILLC
If Assistant professor is your entry level, we will offer you a tenure-track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary appointment). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. Following a positive assessment after five years the appointment will become permanent.
For internal candidates different arrangements can be made.
For more senior applicants who have the necessary qualifications, including evidence of academic leadership as well as acquisition of substantial external funding, we can offer an appointment at Associate professor level. In this case you will initially be offered a temporary appointment of two years that will be extended to a permanent employment contract after a positive assessment.
Your full-time gross monthly salary would be between €3,637 and €6,738 gross per month, depending on the level of the position offered and your experience (salary scale 11, 12 for Assistant professor level, and 13 or 14 for Associate professor level). The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable. The annual salary will be supplemented with an 8 % holiday allowance and an 8.3 % end-of-year bonus.
The position will come with an ILLC start-up package consisting of:
- a fully funded 4-year PhD position in your area of expertise;
- outstanding scientific guidance and regular monitoring of progress by a mentor;
- coaching and training opportunities to further your academic career;
- possibilities for a flexible work schedule;
- help in finding appropriate housing;
- reimbursement package for relocation;
- made-to-measure Dutch language course.
The latest possible starting date is April 2020. We would like you to start as soon as possible.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look at Working at the Faculty of Science.
About the Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science has a student body of around 6,500, as well as 1,600 members of staff working in education, research or support services. Researchers and students at the Faculty of Science are fascinated by every aspect of how the world works, be it elementary particles, the birth of the universe or the functioning of the brain.
The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation ( ILLC) is an interdisciplinary research institute that aims at bringing together insights from various fields concerned with information and information processing, such as computational linguistics, computer science, artificial intelligence, logic, philosophy, mathematics, linguistics, cognitive science and music cognition. Its central research area is the study of fundamental principles of encoding, transmission and comprehension of information. It offers an international research environment with world-class faculty in all of its areas of specialisation.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Your application should include the following information (in one single PDF file, using your surname as the file name):
- a letter of interest discussing in some detail your past and ongoing research, future research plans and your view on teaching (max 3 pages);
- your curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and teaching and supervision experience (please highlight and provide URLs for two publications that are representative of your work);
- names, affiliations and email addresses of three academic referees who can provide details about your academic profile in relation to the advertised position (we will contact these referees only after we have requested your explicit permission to do so).
Additional information may be requested from shortlised candidates at a later stage. Interviews are planned for the second half of October. A trial lecture may be part of the selection procedure.
Please submit your application no later than 1 September 2019 using the link below. You only need to fill in the fields marked as mandatory. Please use the mandatory CV field to upload the PDF file specified above. We will only consider complete applications that have been submitted in this manner. #LI-DNP