E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize 2006
Call for submissions
Since 2002, FoLLI (the European Association for Logic, Language, and Information, http://www.folli.org/) awards the E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize to outstanding dissertations in the fields of Logic, Language, and Information. Submissions are invited for 2005. The prize will be awarded to the best dissertation which resulted in a Ph.D. in the year 2005. The dissertations will be judged on technical depth and strength, originality, and impact made in at least two of the three fields of Logic, Language, and Computation.
Nominations of candidates are admitted who were awarded a Ph.D. degree in the areas of Logic, Language, or Information between January 1st, 2005 and December 31st, 2005. There is no restriction on the nationality of the candidate or the university where the Ph.D. was granted. After a careful consideration, FoLLI has decided to accept only dissertations written in English. Dissertations produced in 2005 but not written in English or not translated will be allowed for submission, after translation, also with the call next year (for 2006).
The prize consists of
- a certificate
- a donation of 2500 euros provided by the E. W. Beth Foundation.
- an invitation to submit the thesis (or a revised version of it) to the new series of books in Logic, Language and Information to be published by Springer-Verlag as part of LNCS or LNCS/LNAI. (Further information on this series is available on the FoLLI site)
How to submit
Only electronic submissions are accepted. The following documents are required:
- the thesis in pdf or ps format (doc/rtf not accepted)
- a ten page abstract of the dissertation in ascii or pdf format
- a letter of nomination from the thesis supervisor. Self-nominations are not admitted: each nomination must be sponsored by the thesis supervisor. The letter of nomination should concisely describe the scope and significance of the dissertation and state when the degree was officially awarded
- two additional letters of support, including at least one letter from a referee not affiliated with the academic institution that awarded the Ph.D. degree
All documents must be submitted electronically to beth_award at dimi.uniud.it. Hard copy submissions are not admitted.
Deadline for Submissions: July 31, 2006.
Notification of Decision: November 15, 2006.
- Anne Abeillé (Université Paris 7)
- Johan van Benthem (University of Amsterdam)
- Nissim Francez (The Technion, Haifa)
- Valentin Goranko (University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg)
- Alessandro Lenci (University of Pisa)
- Ewa Orlowska (Institute of Telecommunications, Poland)
- Gerald Penn (University of Toronto)
- Alberto Policriti (chair) (Università di Udine)
- Rob van der Sandt (University of Nijmegen)
- Wolfgang Thomas (RWTH Aachen)