The next event is on Friday, January 20th:
Speaker: Yanjing Wang (Peking University)
Date and Time: Friday, January 20th 2017, 15:30-17:00
Venue: ILLC Seminar Room F1.15, Science Park 107.
Title: A logic of knowing why.
Abstract: When we say “I know why he was late”, we know not only the fact that he was late, but also an explanation of this fact. We propose a logical framework of “knowing why” inspired by the existing formal studies on why-questions, scientific explanation, and justification logic. We introduce the Ky_i operator into the language of epistemic logic to express “agent i knows why phi” and propose a Kripke-style semantics of such expressions in terms of knowing an explanation of phi. We obtain two sound and complete axiomatizations w.r.t. two different model classes depending on different assumptions about introspection.
(Joint work with Chao Xu and Thomas Studer.)
More upcoming events:
- Tuesday, January 24th, 13:00 - Workshop on Rationality, Logic, and Decisions (WoRLD)
- Wednesday, January 25th, 11:00 - PhD defense: Paolo Galeazzi: Play Without Regret
- Friday, February 10th, 15:30 - LIRa session: Laurenz Hudetz
- Friday, February 24th, 15:30 - LIRa session: Pierre Cardascia
- Friday, March 3rd, 16:00 - SMART Lecture by Vincent F. Hendricks
- Friday, March 31st, 08:00 - CFP: The Sixth International Conference on Logic, Rationality and Interaction (LORI-VI)