Social Code of Conduct
The ILLC is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment to all members of its community regardless of background or identity. Please find the ILLC's Social Code of Conduct here.
In order to foster these values, the ILLC has a Diversity Committee which has two main purposes.
- The Committee advises, supports and acts as a point of contact for the ILLC director and community on matters of diversity, inclusivity and appropriate behaviour, including by facilitating contact with other competent UvA offices.
- The Committee takes concrete steps to promote diversity and inclusivity in our community. It does so by informing the community or directly organising training activities, outreach events and other forms of engagement, by providing different forms of support (practical and financial) and by maintaining the ILLC Social Code of Conduct.
An introduction video to the Committee and what we do can be found below (sheets here):
Who we are
If you would like to get involved, please send us a message: the Committee is open to all ILLC affiliates and strives to represent ILLC affiliates at any stage of their studies or careers.
The current Committee members are:
- Karolina Krzyzanowska (UD, FGW)
- Jelke Bloem (UD, FGW)
- Alexandra Zieglerová (ILLC Office)
- Xuan Huang (PhD candidate)
- Marianne de Heer Kloots (PhD candidate)
Should you have any question for us or if you think we might be of help, please get in touch: diversity-illc at uva.nl.
The University of Amsterdam provides guidelines and points of contact on matters of social safety, inclusion and diversity. UvA has a general Code of Conduct, you can consult it in English and Dutch. The National plan for diversity and inclusion in education and research (2020-2025) also provides relevant context (in English and Dutch).
For UvA's general policy on diversity and inclusion, please refer to this page. Students can also find more information at this UvA Diversity page. Each faculty at UvA has diversity officers who are responsible for furthering the diversity agenda at the faculty level. You can find their contacts here: UvA Diversity officers. The Faculty of Science also maintains a diversity page with news, initiatives and more related information (requires staff log-in)
In case of problems pertaining to undesirable behaviour, students and staff members are invited to consult the UvA's advice page, and, if necessary contact Confidential Advisers, who can help them with formal complaints.
Should these resources not answer your needs or questions, we are happy to help (diversity-illc at uva.nl).
ILLC Diversity Talks
The goal of the ILLC Diversity Talks is to show how research carried out at the ILLC interacts with recent works and findings in the area of diversity, broadly understood. Speakers will present their research in a variety of fields related to diversity. These talks will be an opportunity for ILLC members to reflect on current research and practices which could foster diversity and inclusion within the institute. Everyone is invited to attend the talks and take part in the discussion! It will be a learning and growing experience for yourself and the whole institute.
For a list of our previous talks, please visit https://illc-diversity-talks.github.io/.